Maintaining the lawn of your dreams isn’t just about taking care of it during the summer months. If you want lush grass and landscaping you and your family will enjoy, you need to think about it year-round. This is especially true in autumn, when you need to prepare your lawn for the upcoming winter.
The good news is you don’t have to go at it alone! Good lawn care services can help minimize the time and effort you need to spend on it yourself. This is great when you have a lot of area to cover.
Whether you do it yourself or you enlist the help of professionals, there are a few things you need to make sure you finish before winter hits. This ensures your lawn will be healthy in the spring. So, if you do nothing else this autumn, do these three things and you’ll be happy with the results.
Many lawn care services sites recommend you cut grass on a higher setting and mow more often during the summer months. This is because maintaining a longer cut will help your lawn fight against invasive weeds and pests. By cutting more often, you are adding small amounts of healthy nutrients back into the soil all summer long.
For the winter months, your grass will grow much more slowly—or even stop altogether—so cutting short in fall has advantages. A shorter cut will help protect new growth and give the grass a head start come springtime.
Feed Those Plants!
Whether you only have grass to worry about or a huge flower garden with trees to boot, fertilizing your plants properly is one of the most important things you can do for a great landscape. Remember these tips for flawless lawn fertilization:
- Plants need three things to grow: water, sunlight, and nutrients. Nature will always take care of the sunlight, and you may need to help with the watering, but supplying nutrients is 100% all you.
- Laying down fertilizer on the lawn and compost for your gardens and trees allows nutrients to soak into the ground. This builds up a nice reservoir of nitrogen to strengthen growth in the spring.
- Always follow the instructions on your fertilizer or you’ll run the risk of burning your plants.
Talk with Local Lawn Care Services
Plants in different regions of the country have different requirements for healthy growth. Understanding the needs of your lawn and garden may be a challenge when gearing up for winter, but getting expert advice from local lawn care services can help. For instance:
- Many offer winterizing services that can get your lawn ready to face the cold months ahead.
- They can also answer any questions you may have.
- If you don’t understand how to properly fertilize or if you wonder what else you can do, they can provide help tailored to your growing region.
Getting your lawn ready for winter can be a real challenge, so can check out even more services here.